Sunday, April 06, 2014

New Possibilities with Padlet


I'm participating in a Heinemann webinar series that Kristin Ziemke is doing . She is my new favorite person and I've learned so much from her over the last few weeks.  Her classroom is amazing and she embed technology in thoughtful and authentic ways.

One thing Kristin showed was a Padet she created for participants of the webinar series (http://padlet.com/wall/CompandTech). I know Padlet and I've used it lots. But I've used it in a very simple way. I've used it for kids to put sticky notes up as a way to think collectively I had no idea it could be used as a conversation starter with videos, images, padlets on padlets and more. Her Padlet gave me new visions for what Padlet can do. I didn't know you could change the background. I had missed so much about this tool. 

So I played around with a few ways to use Padlet as a way to begin conversations and as a way to collect our thinking. I also think it will be a great way for kids to access learning and to continue the conversation at home.

I played with a board to think about how I might use Padlet in Read Aloud.  We are currently reading How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor.  I created a board with the cover of the book, a book trailer and a link to Barbara O'Connor's website.  We have had so much success with Corkulous as a way to stretch and collect our thinking around read aloud that Padlet seems to add even more options.  I can see adding a board within a board to do the things we are doing on Corkulous. And since it is web-based, it can be accessed from home and school.


We also played with a board to collect and add to as a class.  We have a bird watching area at our school and we've been spending time there for some of our science and math work.  The Padlet board shares the ways we are using various tools to collect information.  This is a site that will help us see how different tools can be used for different purposes. Hopefully it will start a conversation around tools that really help you observe and collect data in efficient ways.  

Today, I attended the Literacy Connection Event and Ruth Ayres spoke about Writing Celebrations.  She talked about the importance of writing celebrations--both the process and the product.   I'm thinking now of ways I can you Padlet for writing celebrations. I am thinking we can share lines we've written,a board of  links to finished products, a board of student writing with room for response. I am going to play some more to see where this thinking might go.

I have been playing with lots of tools over the last few years but, I so love finding one tool and thinking of new possibilities for use.  I am going to focus on this one tool for a while and think about various ways to use it, play around with what the tool can do and grow some possibilities!  Thanks Kristin for stretching my thinking about using this tool for more than one thing!

*For more posts on Digital Literacy, visit Reflections on the Teche for the Link Up!

7 comments:

  1. Something new to me. Thanks, Franki, for sharing and linking up. Now I have some investigating to do with Padlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a new tool Franki. Since there aren't many students who have IPads, & we don't have them at school, I'm not sure how this might work, but I have an IPad & will explore it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Kristen and Katie have managed to bring tech into their rooms in such imaginative ways. I am envious of classroom with ipads - we are campaigning for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franki,
    Thanks for reminding me of Padlet. I used Wallwisher long ago, but haven't really played with it since it changed to Padlet. You have me wondering about collaborative conversations using Padlets and its capabilities on an iPad. Off to play.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used Padlet with kids and adults, to great success.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a coincidence because I just introduced Padlet to my students last week. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this great tool. It made me think about how I can keep pushing my students' thinking with this tool.

    This week, as an experiment, I asked students to reflect on their learning by responding to three questions, as part of their weekly homework routine. I love the results.

    www.theflockjwr.com/week-of-march-31

    I'm excited to learn more about Padlet and it's capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, OF COURSE, I think this is great!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.