Sunday, July 29, 2007

Larger Than Life Lara

I picked up this book at Cover to Cover a few weeks ago. I am always looking for short, easier chapter books that have depth--things to talk about. When I taught 5th grade, I could find lots and lots of great books for them that were worth talking about--books that dealt with issues. It is a bit trickier in third grade. The kids are still learning to follow plot so I try to find books with a good, easy to follow plot, as well as real life issues to talk about. I think LARGER THAN LIFE LARA by Dandi Daley Mackall will be a great book for read aloud and/or booktalks with 3rd and 4th graders. It has so many things to talk about. Mackall also weaves in reminders about story elements as we read which is a unique thing and something kids would enjoy. Lara moves into Laney's 4th grade classroom and is immediately the target of meanness and bullying. Lara is very large--so big that she has to have a special chair and she swishes when she walks. Lara handles the meanness with a positive attitude and is always able to find the best in people. It doesn't end quite the way I had predicted which is always nice--I love a little surprise. It isn't really a happy ending, but there is closure. There are lots of things that kids would find to discuss with this book. It is a great new book with lots of possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get this book. Thanks for the review!

    You've been tagged for a Teacher Meme at http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/2007/07/teaching-meme.html.

    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading my library copy of this book, which I requested after reading this review. And I just gotta say THANKS! What a find.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.