Friday, July 13, 2007

Poetry Friday -- An Original

The Test Scores Are In

A child is more than any one score.
And so is a teacher, too.
But when the scores surprise and please,
Loudly shout, "WOO - HOO!"

I celebrate the highest highs,
I celebrate every success.
Every score is a sign of learning;
Every score measures progress.

I know I taught, but did they learn?
The question haunts me less
Because I see the numbers there
And can measure my teaching with the tests.

A child is more than any one score.
And so is a teacher, too.
But when the scores surprise and please,
Loudly shout, "WOO - HOO!"


Round up this week is at Chicken Spaghetti.

6 comments:

  1. WOO-HOO to you, Mary Lee! Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new goal:
    No child left un-Woo-Hoo-ed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam -- I'd like to hear that in a politician's stump speech!

    Elaine -- Thanks! The happiness quotient of my summer certainly wasn't depending on good testing news, but it did push it up a notch or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOO HOO! Happy summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poem! Great one Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tickled by this. Can you be my childrens' teacher???

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your contribution to the conversation!