Sunday, August 26, 2007

2 New Picture Books

I found two great new picture books this week. I think both will be great additions to classroom libraries--especially K-2 classrooms. Both will also make GREAT baby gifts. I had no idea that Mem Fox had a new book coming out. WHERE THE GIANT SLEEPS is a great bedtime book for young children. Older readers will find lots to love about the book too. Just like in TIME FOR BED, Mem Fox gets readers ready to sleep but this time, she tells us where giants and fairies and other fairy tale creatures sleep. The pictures are peaceful and colorful at the same time. And Mem Fox's rhyme and rhythm is unmistakable--she is brilliant at this. (Mem Fox is a favorite at our house. Each of us has our own favorite--my youngest daughter's favorite today is THE MAGIC HAT but WHERE IS THE GREEN SHEEP is a very close second for her. I bought this new one for myself and one for a gift! THAT SPECIAL LITTLE BABY is a new book by Jane Ann Peddicord. It will make a beautiful baby gift for a new baby girl. It is a story of a baby and all of the things she does and learns. Through the book, we see her as a baby and as she grows. The repeated text will be fun for young children ("That special little baby, always up to something new..."). And the illustrations are colorful-set on white. It is a great book about a baby who is loved very much!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:37 AM

    Thanks so much for this! Jane is an Austin author but I didn't know about her new book -- I'm going to find it fast...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.