Friday, August 10, 2007

Me and the Pumpkin Queen by Marlane Kennedy

Beth, at Cover to Cover told me that this was a good one. And, of course, I did! ME AND THE PUMPKIN QUEEN by Marlane Kennedy (Class of 2K7) is a story of Mildred. Mildred lives in Pickaway County Ohio and dreams of winning at the Circleville Pumpkin Show. This is a great story--the author's first book. It has the feel of a Deborah Wiles book--great characters, small town charm, grief, family and friends. As an Ohioan, I love this book. A great Ohio story, based on the best Pumpkin show ever. Since I have never been to the Circleville Pumpkin Show, it was fun to learn all about it and the time and commitment it takes to grow giant pumpkins. I think I may have to attend the pumpkin festival this year. I had no idea these giant pumpkins were over 1000 pounds!? Whether you are from Ohio or not, this is a great story with great characters. The themes of family, healing, and friendship are strong and the info about pumpkin growing are woven throughout in a way that helps you cheer for Mildred to grow the biggest pumpkin. Kids will love this story--everything about it! A great story for upper elementary school. Believe me, you'll want to make a trip to Circleville for the annual pumpkin show after you read this book. And you'll be looking for the Mildreds in the crowd. (To read about the real winners of last year's pumpkin show, visit here.) Pretty cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.