Monday, August 06, 2007

More First Read Alouds

Franki got us thinking about first read alouds when she pointed us to Shari Frost's Choice Literacy article.

Here are some of the picture books I read in the first weeks of school, and that we revisit at the end of the year or the end of the loop.

Ish by Peter Reynolds
I value approximation.

The Wonderful Happens by Cynthia Rylant
I celebrate each unique student.

The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
We honor diversity, and recognize the importance of names.

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
Stamina and persistence are positive traits.

The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups
by David Wisniewski
Humor is valued in my classroom.

EDITED TO ADD:
How We Are Smart by W. Nikola-Lisa
Everyone is 100% smart, even if we are different mixtures of the multiple intelligences. (I finally got my ginormous Powells order -- in it was this one that I bought based on the Poetry Friday review at Tea Cozy.)

2 comments:

  1. I love How We Are Smart! It's the perfect book for reading aloud to older kids; and I love the different ways of being smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resources...thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.