Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Poetry Month -- all the small poems and fourteen more

all the small poems and fourteen more
by Valerie Worth
illustrated by Natalie Babbitt
Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1994

Are you ready for Poem in Your Pocket Day tomorrow? If not, grab this classic and open to any page to find a small poem just right for tucking in your pocket to share with anyone who will listen!

Here's a perfect one to celebrate those wildflowers which have been appearing in our lawn the last couple of weeks, and which so many of us have such a hard time loving:

dandelion

Out of
Green space,
A sun:
Bright for
A day, burning
Away to
A husk, a
Cratered moon:

Burst
In a week
To dust:
Seeding
The infinite
Lawn with
Its starry
Smithereens.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely title---it makes me wish I had a copy of that book in my hands right now. And fourteen more.

    Love the dandelion poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:25 AM

    This is my favorite poetry book. I love everything about it-the title, the simple illustrations. It's where I first became aware of Valerie Worth-one great poet!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.