Friday, August 28, 2009

Poetry Friday

Poetry tastes like
chocolate.
--Ryan, age 8



TASTES LIKE CHOCOLATE: Thoughts From Young People is a collection of poetry written by the students of teacher Randi Allison over the course of the past twenty+ years. "Tastes Like Chocolate is a collection filled with delectable moments of joyous wonder that melt and linger, dark musings of loss with a bitter aftertaste of longing, and simple insights filled with gooey luscious surprises." Here's a sample:


We are the children of
the world.
We have voices that
express,
ears that listen,
eyes that blaze.

We are the future.

You are the adults of
the world.
You pave the road of
life for us.
You are our view of the
world.

(the rest of the poem is here, when you click on "...a taste")

--Jennifer, age 12


The round up this week is at Book Aunt.
If you want to host the round up in the future, let Kelly know at Big A little a.

10 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious collection! Thanks for highlighting it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talented kids! I love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to get this book. Hope I can avoid eating the cover. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just had to include that delicious picture, didn't you? Who wouldn't keep reading after seeing THAT?

    Looks like a wonderful collection that I can't wait to devour! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *licking my computer screen*

    Looks like a fun and delicious collection :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so lucky--I work with Randi every day. And many of these poets were in my classroom... such a lovely collection of children's thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see a Colorado author featured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:24 AM

    Thanks for letting me know about this book! The poem by Jordan moved me. And the title poem, well, couldn't say it any better about poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Lee,

    Thanks for this post--and the link to the publisher. I hadn't heard of this book. I'll have to get myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds lovely! Ten-Second Rainshowers and Soft Hay Will Catch You are two kid-authored anthologies I really like. I'll have to find this one, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.