Friday, November 20, 2009

Poetry Friday -- Fear


FEAR

I am not afraid of the dark
or cold weather
or hard work.

I am not afraid to be caught
without an umbrella
and I'm not afraid (anymore)
of those big millipedes
that are sometimes in the sink
when I turn on the kitchen light
in the morning
in the summer.

I am not afraid to walk on ice
or skip a meal
or swim in deep water.

I'm not afraid to drive alone
across the country
and I'm not afraid (anymore)
of unknowns:
taking risks,
speaking in front of strangers,
navigating in new places
where there may or may not be
clear signage.


The round up today is at The Drift Record.

6 comments:

  1. Is this an original?

    I'm glad you're not afraid of the millipedes. I'll get back to you on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, this is an original.

    And not only am I not afraid of those bad boys anymore, I can catch them and turn them loose in the garden. (most of the time)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I were as brave as you are, Mary Lee! My mom's house always had millipedes and I hated them!

    I'm in awe that you've conquered so many fears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo freaks me out!! I love your ending here. I am afraid of navigating new places where there isn't clear signage. LOL but I keep pushing myself to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely written, I enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.