Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TWIMERICKS: THE BOOK OF TONGUE-TWISTING LIMERICKS by Lou Brooks

I love when people come up with new things and Lou Brooks has come up with Twimericks--Limericks and Tongue Twisters all rolled up. You can tell right away that this book is a fun one. There is a warning on the first page:

"THE SURGEON GENERAL HAS DETERMINED THAT RAPID READING OF THIS BOOK ALOUD TO OTHERS MAY LEAD TO YOUR TONGUE BEING TWISTED INTO A PERFECT OVER-AND UNDERHAND BAVARIAN PRETZEL KNOT--PROBABLY FOREVER."

Then the author goes on to tell us a bit about the history of Limericks and a bit about Tongue Twisters. Then he goes on to tell us what happens when you put the two together. Following this introduction are 36 Twimericks that are quite fun. Some of my favorites (all listed in the Cable of Tontents:-) are Rufus the Goofus, Banana Bonanza and Six Silly Swiss Sisters. My very favorite is "Frankly, Frank Fankley" (of course, because it has my name in it--kind of).

This book is great fun and would be a great addition to any classroom poetry collection. It begs to be read aloud. Reading them aloud is quite fun! (I read a few aloud to my husband while he was watching hockey. My reading wasn't quite enough to pull him away from the TV but he did chuckle a bit.) I can also see kids having lots of word play fun in writing workshop, word study, etc. Just a fun, playful book!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! You convinced me, and I'm going to order it from Amazon today. Did you know that Dr. Mary Bigler swears by joke/riddle and tongue twister books as a way to improve reading fluency?
    Thanks for the fun selection! :)
    www.shannonkodonnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping me with awesome suggestions for the Columbus Metropolitan Library to buy Franki! We don't have this one and I gotta get my hands on it. Mucho Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.