Friday, April 02, 2010

Poem #2 -- Learning



LEARNING CURVE: SPINNING CLASS

Week One:
Fell off the bike.
(You can't coast.
She told us that.
I tried anyway.)

Week Two:
Couldn't keep up.
(My legs burned.
Sweat poured.)

Week Three:
Stayed on the bike.
Stayed with the class.
Went shopping for cycling shorts.

by Mary Lee Hahn, copyright 2010



The rest of the story: didn't buy cycling shorts, but after Week Four can tell a difference in my kick when I swim my mile. The best of the story: did a two-hour ride yesterday on a moving bicycle in the sun under the bright blue April sky along the river. The thrill of classroom learning pales in comparison to the application of learning in the real world.

The Poetry Friday roundup this week is at Book Aunt.

9 comments:

  1. I'm off to spin this morning! Although I'd rather be riding under the blue sky. Learning does require quite a bit of falling down, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:06 PM

    And it always comes back to sticking with it, doesn't it? Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, lady! Looking forward to some nature poems as you cruise through spring on your bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on poem #2, thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. I've never tried spinning -- I would DEFINITELY fall off the bike the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an inspiring poem. I never guessed where it was going because in the first line I thought of what I would have done and ... well, it would have been a different poem. Yay for you for pedaling under the blue April sky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! I tried spinning once and could not hang. Gave it up right away. I do love to ride my bike out under the blue sky though.

    I am really looking forward to reading your poems this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Congratulations on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go, Mary Lee, both on the bike and in poetry!

    Laura Evans
    all things poetry

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.