Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Google Search Stories by Favorite Book Characters!

So, I have been fascinated with the concept of Google Search stories for the last several days. Mary Lee included one in her poetry post earlier last week. Kevin at Kevin's Meandering Mind shared his students' stories too. I love how the searches tell stories. I wanted to learn but hadn't given myself the time to figure it out. But....today, I LOVED the two that Sesame Street released--search stories from Cookie Monster and Bert. (I find Bert's to be HYSTERICAL!)



I was totally inspired and realized how fun this would be for kids. What story would) their favorite book character tell with a search story? I am all about making myself learn these new tools so I tried one today. And the first favorite character that popped to mind was Pigeon of course! So, here is my first try. How much fun is this? Wish I had nothing to do but to make more search stories today. Kids could have a ball with this. My daughter helped with this one and I imagine she'll make her own sometime soon. Kids could even make them as riddles--others could guess who did the search story. I am not into book projects or gimmicky things but I find these search stories totally fun and love the possibilities of our favorite fictional characters creating their own search stories as a way to learn and play with this tool.



If you have not had time to play with these, I would highly suggest it. I am amazed at the stories that people have created. Time to create your own:-)

7 comments:

  1. Loved this idea, Franki! You really took it and made it relevant. What an interesting way for kids to respond to literature and think "what would my favorite character be googling?"

    Love it! I'm going to share this with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have got my attention with this one. I don't understand search stories yet but I am on the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas on how to use Search Stories in the classroom. I was thinking this might also be a great companion to a lesson on how a character changes over time, or challenging readers to think how a character might react (cause and effect) to events in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so, SO cool! I'm definitely going to try it out - and I may use this for one of the characters from one MY stories. Many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun. Loved the Bert one... I'll have to give it a try, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great ideas around search stories! I tried it with some 5th graders and we all loved it. Some other thoughts--used at the beginning of the year as an autobiography so kids get to know each other, at the end of the year as a recap of favorite events of the year for a celebration, or as a journal entry after a field trip. The more I think about it, the more the ideas flow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such cool stuff, I combined it with queries and posted about it today. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.