Saturday, April 03, 2010

Poem #3 -- Abecedarian Cupcake Lessons


ABECEDARIAN CUPCAKE LESSONS

After
Baking dozens of
Cupcakes this week, I've learned a few Life Lessons:

Delight in the process as much as the product.

















Each ingredient is as important as the next.

















Forget about the clock,
Go with the flow,
Have fun.














Improvise
Joyously (and cover your mistakes with frosting).














Keep working until the
Last bowl is clean and dry and back on the shelf.

















Measure ingredients with precision, but do
Not forget that there are times when
Observation is more
Powerful than
Quantifiable amounts or
Results.

Stop
Tasting the frosting when buttercream becomes
Unremarkable.














Value your
Work enough to make the
eXtra effort worth the time
You put into the project. Be
Zealous, but never a zealot.















cupcakes, photos and poem by Mary Lee Hahn, copyright 2010

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    Those cupcakes are too yummy and I love this idea for a poem...the ABC's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've died and gone to heaven. The Alphabet AND Cupcakes? Mary Lee, I love you so :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Yummy poem and now I'm hungry! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you used photography in your poem!!!! Smart idea!!! I might use your poem as a mentor text for an upcoming poetry workshop for teachers - I think a lot of kids (and adults) might like to try this!

    P.S. I want cupcakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great poem. Cupcakes have been prevalent this year. Several Juvenile & YA titles have cupcake covers. I picked up some cupcake cover scarpbook paper just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite lines:

    "Stop
    Tasting the frosting when buttercream becomes
    Unremarkable."

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photography within the poem to illustrate your thoughts. Who ate all the cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am belatedly seeing this. Yum! I agree with Andromeda -- those lines are very wise!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.