Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Poem #7 Read Aloud Revelation--A Metaphor Poem


Metaphors are wiley creatures,
Usually only found by teachers.
Today one let us glimpse its glory:
"All I'm saying is your life's a story."

by Mary Lee Hahn, copyright 2010


Background:
My fourth graders are reading along as I read aloud 43 Old Cemetery Road, Book One: Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise and illustrated by M. Sarah Klise. (I reviewed it here.) If you know the "Regarding the..." series by the Klise sisters, you have an idea what this book is like -- told entirely through letters, newspaper pages, documents, etc.

Back bulletin board in our classroom:
Currently devoted to similes, metaphors, and idioms written on sentence strips along with a hodge-podge collection of common and uncommon homophones and homographs written on index cards.

Blurted out yesterday during read aloud:
"I think I hear a metaphor!"

The passage containing the metaphor:
"All I'm saying is that your life is a story, and that you are the main character of that story. Is your story a comedy or a tragedy? Is it dull? Or is is a compelling, spine-tingling drama? My point, Iggy, is simply that each of us is the author of his or her own life. So if you're telling me that you've changed, I'm pleased at your authorship."

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the metaphor spotter and for fun read-alouds! Kewl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great poem and a great anecdote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Mary Lee. I love those times of noticing...

    I just recommended the book to my daughter.

    Wrote poem #7 today...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.