Monday, April 19, 2010

Moving Toward My Vision for the SMARTBoard in the Library

I see huge possibilities for creation and collaboration if this took is always available to students. Because the size of the board is so large, it is so much more natural to collaborate and problem solve around it than around a keyboard. I can see so many ways that kids can collaborate in their creations. Creation demands collaboration and it seems that the SMART Board can really support those goals.

But, as I said, patience is key. I have to spend lots of time setting up possibilities for the students and inviting them to try different things. This week, my goal was for students to understand that the SMART Board was really just a giant/touchscreen computer and that anything they could do on the computer, they could do on the SMART Board. So, we tried several of our favorite things on the SMART Board--Pixie, Tumblebooks, Pages, etc. One of the things we did with a few classes was a collaborative story. After spending some time looking at the new episodes in the Exquisite Corpse, kids took turns adding to a story. Wouldn't it be fun to have an ongoing story that several kids/classes added to like Jon Scieszka's Exquisite Corpse? I could see an ongoing story like that in the future--watching kids collaborate around writing was fun. As expected, when given the choice to use these tools on the SMART Board independently, the collaboration and conversations were amazing to listen to. As I assumed, the tool almost demands thinking together.

This week, we'll try some Stopmotion editing on the SMART Board with a few groups of 4th graders. I see them huddled around the laptop screen deciding on their next editing job, but the SMART Board should make it so much easier for everyone to be part of the decision-making.

This week, I was thrilled to look over and see 3-5 kids using the board on their own for various purposes. Since it is new for so many of them, learning the basics of how to move an object, how the pens work, how to get the keyboard, etc. are all happening as they explore on their own. I am working hard to help kids see that this is not a teacher tool-that the board is one that can be used for a variety of reasons and that they can use it independently of me. I adamantly believe that for these tools to be worthwhile in the classroom, kids need to be using them to create and collaborate. This will take a while, I know. My thinking is that for the next several weeks and for the first several weeks of next school year, kids will see many of the possibilities of the SMART Board. Then they will take it from there, realizing when the tool will support what they are trying to do.

And, of course, I'll utilize our SMART Board Team. I am hoping to meet with them in the next few weeks to determine where to go next with the board.

Other blog posts on the SMART Board in our library:
http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2010/04/poetry-and-smart-board.html
http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2010/04/poetry-and-smart-board-part-2.html
http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2009/05/smartboards-in-readingwriting-workshop.html

3 comments:

  1. "ONLY see each class in the library for 45 minutes every four days"? I think that's awfully good! I see my classes once a week and get to talk for about five minutes before they all need to check out books! And you are using technology-- good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this series on the Smartboard. I use mine all the time, but mostly for projecting and writing in front of the kids. I see my blog posts as being like the charts I used to write and stick up around the room. But I have to say I haven't tended to use the interactive aspects of the Smartboard with the kids that much. (My room is very small and I wouldn't be able to have a group using it --- be overwhelming to the rest of the kids.)

    Are you familiar with the Elmo, sort of an overhead projector for the Smartboard? Now that I'm really, really, REALLY loving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! I love the collaborative story idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.