Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Poem #6 -- REVERSO!

Back in March, I wrote this Samantha Bennett (That Workshop Book) quote in my writer's notebook:
"When we are thoughtful about the way the day begins and ends, so much more is possible in the middle."
I can't remember where I saw it -- Creative Literacy? Authentic Learner? The blog of someone who was/is reading it in a group or for a class. I wrote it down because I've struggled all my livelong career with the routines at both ends of the school day -- especially the end. So many days end in a whirlwind rush that leaves me exhausted and crabby. I'm constantly working to calm the end of the day down. I've got read aloud tucked in at the very end of the day now, and I like ending our day with our knees pulled together in a tight circle as we share our thoughts around the book we're reading together.

At any rate, operating on the principle that sometimes all it takes to be a poem is short lines, I wrote the quote this way:

When we are thoughtful
about the way the day
begins
and
ends,
so much more is possible
in the middle.

I'm not sure what made me read it from the bottom up. Maybe it's because I've been so fascinated recently with Marilyn Singer's poems in Mirror, Mirror. It made a little bit of sense read bottom to top, so I played around with it and got these two poems. They're a bit clunky, but it was a thrill to even come close on such a complicated form!



In the middle
so much more is possible.
Ending
and
beginning
a day is
when we are thoughtful.

When we are thoughtful,
a day is
beginning
and
ending
so much. More is possible
in the middle.

9 comments:

  1. Love it. I'm going to put this poem in my pocket!

    In my pocket, I'm going to put this poem. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inspired to play with words today.Thank you, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant found reverso(?). Maybe? Anyway, I love both the sentiment and the wordplay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you took a snippet from your Writer's Notebook and played with it in poetic form. That's just what we want our students to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quote. So much meaning is packed into one small sentence. Oh, the power of words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how you are playing with this quote/thought. It's a kind of meditation, isn't it? I like your reversal poem. I am going to try this form too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:17 PM

    Thank you for the inspiration toninght I am trying my reverso poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marilyn's book is a delight - and it's been fun to see what people come up with - yours included. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Authentic Learner's thoughts about the end of the day, and I love your poem showing your reflection!! i would love to make the end of my day different as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.