Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Our Wonderful World.23

Details of my Poetry Month Project can be found here.



23. The Aurora


AURORA

Luminous curtains veil a backdrop of stars.
Swirling green serpents of light,
wingbeats of unseen mythical beings,
dancing spirits take the stage.

Swirling green serpents of light
demystified and explained by science, but
dancing spirits take the stage
in my imagination.

Demystified and explained by science, but
evidence of mystery and magic
in my imagination.
Luminous curtains veil a backdrop of stars.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2014


I wanted to try a pantoum today. It seemed the perfect twisting swirling form for The Aurora Borealis. I'm not sure this quite captured the feeling I wanted, but there are only so many hours in a day and that stack of papers I've been carrying around for...um...too long...needs to be graded!

My students are writing with me again this week. Hopefully by week's end I'll have some of their poems to share.


Carol gives the mountain a voice in her Mt. Everest poem.

Kevin "surfs the solar wind" in his Aurora poem.

6 comments:

  1. I went back into Webmaker for this morning's poem.
    https://dogtrax.makes.org/thimble/LTE3OTkzNTY0MTY=/aurora
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 AM

    I love this, Mary Lee, and agree that the form of the pantoum works for the aurora. I wrote a poem about the aurora a few months ago. Hope it's okay if I share it again! http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/poetry-friday-aurora-borealis/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee, A pantoum is coming soon for me as I am on the letter n. I wrote a poem about the Aurora with my students as it came up on Wonderopolis. I found it in my school journal.

    The aurora glows
    fire torches in the night sky
    lighting the path to heaven.
    God-dancing
    sun stream
    solar wind
    magnetic attraction
    beauty
    I still believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pantoum???? I have always wanted to write a pantoum!!! Having issues with blogspot tonight, but here is the link to my poem.
    http://carolwscorner.blogspot.com/2014/04/poem-23-aurora.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I go to Iceland we go out for the tour - out into the volcano-blasted countryside, looking into the sky. Glorious stars, but no aurora -- yet, anyway.

    I'm going to catch it one day. Like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.