Sunday, March 30, 2014

National Poetry Month 2014: Our Wonderful World


This year, my Poetry Month project will celebrate the myriad wonders of our world. Every day for the month of April, I will share one of "The Wonders of the World" (selected from a variety of lists) and an original poem inspired by that wonder.

Please join me in celebrating the human-made and natural wonders to be found on this amazing planet upon which we are so privileged to ride around the sun. Leave your poem or a link to your blog post in the comments and I'll add your wonderful words to my post each day.

Here are the wonders I've chosen:

1. The Great Pyramid of Giza (the only one of the Classic 7 Wonders of the World that still exists)

From the 7 Wonders of the Middle Ages:
2. Stonehenge
3. Colosseum
4. Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa
5. Great Wall of China
6. Porcelain Tower of Nanjing
7. Hagia Sophia
8. Leaning Tower of Pisa
9. Taj Mahal

From the American Society of Civil Engineers' 7 Wonders of the Modern World:
10. Channel Tunnel
11. CN Tower
12. Empire State Building
13. Golden Gate Bridge
14. Itaipu Dam
15. Delta Works
16. Panama Canal

A few of the New7Wonders of the World:
17. Petra
18. Machu Picchu
19. Chichen Itza

And 7 Natural Wonders from a variety of lists (including four of my own to remind us that there is wonder to be found wherever we look):
20. Grand Canyon
21. Great Barrier Reef
22. Mt. Everest
23. Aurora
24. Amazon Rain Forest
25. Victoria Falls
26. Polar Ice Cap
27. Sunrise
28. Chocolate Cake
29. Imagination
30. People

10 comments:

  1. How I admire your brilliant and creative mind in coming up with something new and wonderful every April! And lots of times in between! I have said previously, this sounds like quite a challenge. And I am not sure I will be able to keep up with you! I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful, Mary Lee. I'm going to have to take some time off this first week at least (cataract surgery), but I'll try to join you some of the time & certainly will be reading your poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee,
    This will be a fun journey to follow. I'm afraid you are going to give me a lot of places I will want to go see by the time it is said and done.

    Wishing you luck in your clever endeavors.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to what you have to say on these subjects...Thanks for the invitation and inspiration, Mary Lee. Sunrise & Chocolate Cake? That's poetry right there : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What fun! Can't wait to read these, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be fascinating! Not only do we get to read your wonderful poems...we also get to learn all about the wonders of the world. Wonderful!! Thank you, ML, for sharing so much and generously - your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lee--YOU are one of the wonders of our world! What a fascinating and challenging project. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must agree with April! What a great project theme-- I know I will enjoy this journey immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting theme! The one thing I'm not enjoying about my daily writing project is that it leaves so little time to read all the other wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.