Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Our Wonderful World.8



Details of my Poetry Month Project can be found here.

Wikipedia
8. The Leaning Tower of Pisa


A Note From the Architect

I didn't mean
for my tower to lean --
my work is usually not sloppy.

At least I know
that history will show
my creation will never be copied.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2014


A note about the architect: there is actually controversy about the architect of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Imagine that. No one made sure to leave concrete (pun intended) evidence that this mistake was his.


Be sure you go over to Carol's Corner and read her poem about the Hagia Sophia from yesterday. Wow.

Kevin used a Google tool to make his Leaning Tower poem today. It's at Kevin's Meandering Mind.

6 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this poem Mary Lee! I'm so impressed at how much you can say with so few words. This is a poem my students would love too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a dialogue poem, of sorts.
    http://docsstorybuilder.appspot.com/BWF4pA
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor man, up in heaven, wishing he could make changes! Great to write from the POV, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun! You are the wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:47 PM

    I don't know how you write a poem a day, Mary Lee! I barely managed to get this finished for today:
    http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/slice-of-life-the-leaning-tower-of-pisa/
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Leaning Tower of Pisa”

    The tower, it’s said
    began to lean
    almost from its inception
    shallow foundation
    soft sandy soil
    and the lean began

    For 800 years
    through several wars
    thousands of visitors
    tower tilted
    and tilted
    and tilted.

    Workers wished
    to compensate
    adjusted architecture
    drilled deeply
    and still the edifice leaned.

    Tower closed
    experts examined
    made miniscule measurements
    reinforced
    with bands and bricks
    concrete and cables
    drilled down
    suctioned soil
    applied pressure
    measured
    repeated
    repeated
    repeated

    until
    finally
    the
    leaning
    tower
    leaned
    a
    little
    less.

    (c) Carol Wilcox, 2014

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.