Friday, March 02, 2018

Poetry Friday -- Chocolate Cake




Abecedarian Cake Love

A
birthday
cake --
decadent,
elegant,
frosting
gobbed
high --
I
justify
knifing
loose
my
notch --
objectify
perfection,
qualify
restraint,
savor
tastes
until...
voicing
with
eXuberance:
YUMMY!
amaZing!

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2014





BIRTHDAY CAKE 

Measuring Spoons 
Our advice? 
Be precise. 

Kitchen Aid 
I stand… 
I mix, blend, 
whip, stir, knead… 
at your command. 

Cake Pans 
We’re fickle. 
Three layers stick 
whenever we pick. 

Violets on the Windowsill 
We choose 
purple for our blooms. 
You make the air go blue 
because of what the pans decided to do. 

Table 
Come sit. 
Unwind. 
Write a bit. 
Find 
the humor in all of it. 
Be resigned, 
start again. Don’t quit.


© Mary Lee Hahn, 2012


Here are a couple of my chocolate cake poems from the past.

I baked Hubby's birthday cake last night. He wanted to help, so I let him prep the pans. Lesson learned: don't give away one of the key steps in the process, something that you know by feel and by experience, not by look. One layer stuck horribly. Another stuck a bit. 

I said a few choice words under my breath, but then I moved into "make lemonade" mode. I took the crumble layer, mixed it with a portion of the icing to make a globby cake-icing goo to put between the other two layers, and covered the whole thing with the rest of the icing. From the outside, it looks like my classic from-scratch chocolate cake. I'm sure it will taste just fine. I'm wondering if this wonky middle layer might become the new normal. Stay tuned. 

Moral of the story -- don't get mad...INNOVATE!

Renee has today's Poetry Friday Roundup at No Water River.



21 comments:

  1. Happy Friday, and happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord never mind the cake! I skipped over the title and didn't realize that this genius innovation "justify knifing loose my notch"! was an abecedarian! Happy chocolate birthday cake to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your lemonade fix will be just right. :-) Lovely poetry was the best icing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giggling here, Cousin! 'Twas my birthday yesterday, so I shall think with amusement of this very crumb-cakey middle layer, knowing that it's probably the best part. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA!! Oh, I have made the air blue while baking, too! What a wonderful expression! I'm glad you still got to have your cake and eat it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly know how to celebrate, Mary Lee! Brownie points to your hubby for wanting to help, but you get the coveted Problem Solver Award. The poetry slices were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. With your love of chocolate so evident to the world Mary Lee, might I suggest you seek out Michael Rosen's iconic poem, 'Chocolate Cake.' from his anthology, 'Quick Let's Get Out of Here.' Enjoy every last crumb...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joy-filled post. "Don't get mad. Innovate!" Great advice. Your chocolate cake abecedarian is as delicious as a chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a delicious post! I think your cake innovation sounds wonderful and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the new family favorite. "Violets on the Windowsill" made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Love these delicious poems, Mary Lee! I've had innovate to save baking mishaps in the past, but haven't written too many poems about them. Now you've got me thinking. I'm sure the cake was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumyum! And yay for your lemonade-making. :) Those Measuring spoons... perfectly precise as one would expect. Wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This photo looks like a chocolate cake recipe I make and won a blue ribbon at the fair with when I was growing up. It's so moist, frosting it gets hard. I like how you just frosted the tops of each and deliciousness is really the only thing anyone is looking for. I bet the crumbles weren't noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect poems for me today. Let's be honest, it is always time for chocolate in any form. :) It is also my husband's birthday! I enjoyed both he poem on this festive day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm, chocolate cake! My boys still talk about your red velvet cupcakes! I probably should not admit that the air at my house turns blue pretty much every time I step into the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it all, am sure the 'taste' will overpower any other thoughts of disaster, Mary Lee. I like "don't get mad, innovate". Life is too short to worry over a little "stuck cake"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum yum yummiest of posts! Your famous chocolate cake! LOVE the abecedarian too. Next time you make a cake mistake, just send it over here. Glad to be of service any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! Will you make a cake for my birthday? Yours sounds especially good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As I stop baking for the night (neighborhood Oscar party tomorrow night), I think I will take your advice. Since the men bailed on the baking midstream, I am hoping that they take of the clean-up. I am embracing hope! Mary Lee, you made my night with your humor. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this glorious treat for our eyes, yum! I love the shape of your cake poems above, and the "Abecedarian Cake Love" is eXuberant! This thought is perfect, "don't get mad...INNOVATE!" thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely poems and a great lesson to persist! Happy birthday to your husband. I hope you both enjoy the cake. It looks delicious and that middle layer sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is perfect as I will be celebrating my birthday in a few days. Methinks I should revisit your post and recite the poems first thing. :) And look at that cake. Glorious.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.