Thursday, July 10, 2008

What are Ralph Fletcher and Aimee Buckner Reading?


From Ralph Fletcher, author of BOY WRITERS, THE SANDMAN, WHAT A WRITER NEEDS, and FIG PUDDING:

THE POST-BIRTHDAY WORLD by Lionel Shriver (finished a month or so ago)

THE MOTHER TONGUE by Bill Bryson

THE SLEEPING DOLL by Jeffrey Deaver (a guilty pleasure)

LUSH LIFE by Richard Price

From Aimee Buckner, author of NOTEBOOK KNOW-HOW:


THE BOOK OF AIR AND SHADOWS by Michael Gruber. I found this book at the bookstore - I liked the title and was intrigued by the blurb. It's about a lost manuscript by Shakespeare. The book starts off as a flashback alternating between two different characters and how they came to be involved in looking for this manuscript. Eventually their lives collide and the book moves from flashback to present day. It's like a literacy treasure hunt with bad guys chasing the good guys, murder, lies, twists and turns. It took me awhile to 'get into' the book, but once I did, I was hooked.




ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY by David Sedaris. This is a collection of essays by Sedaris. He's a humorist who writes about his family and life in general. His essays are funny but do have some 'language.' I first found Sedaris listening to one of his books on my ipod. Now I can't get enough of his work. It's a nice book to read between novels.


LITERATURE AS EXPLORATION by Louise Rosenblatt. Her work is timeless. I'm reading it for a project I'm working on. It reminds me of how kids learn to read - the theories of language acquisition and what it looks like in the classroom. It's a book you'd most likely read for a college graduate course, but I'm loving it.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really fun blog. I am glad that I found it. It is fun to see what the different teacher authors are reading. I love Tovanni, Fletcher and Buckner's books.

    I am so excited because I just switched schools. I will be going from a school where last year they switched the curriculum to mandated scripted reading (Reading Mastery, Horizons, Corrective Reading) to my dream job at a dual immersion school where I can do best practices such as writing workshop. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.