Tuesday, July 08, 2008

What are Shelley Harwayne and Terry Thompson Reading?


From Shelley Harwayne, author of LASTING IMPRESSIONS, GOING PUBLIC, and LOOK WHO’S READING.

I just finished THE WHISTLING SEASON by Ivan Doig
My bookclub members suggested this novel. It is quite a tribute to the one room schoolhouse told by a young boy who grows up to be the superintendent of schools in his childhood locale.

I am also reading FATHER KNOWS LESS by Wendell Jamieson
This non fiction book. It is a collection of real children’s questions with responses offered by experts in the field. The author was inspired by the questions his young son asked.


From Terry Thompson author of ADVENTURES IN GRAPHICA
Professionally, I'm reading 3-MINUTE MOTIVATORS: MORE THAN 100 SIMPLE WAYS TO REACH, TEACH, and ACHIEVE MORE THAN YOU EVER IMAGINED (Paterson, Pembroke), The ORACY INSTRUCTION GUIDE: LINKING RESEARCH AND THEORY TO ASSESSMENT AND INSTRUCTION (Gentile, Dominie Press), THE VOCABULARY BOOK: LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION (Graves), and I'm rereading 6+1 TRAITS OF WRITING: THE COMPLETE GUIDE GRADES 3 AND UP (Culham, Scholastic), .



In children's literature, I'm reading various picture books and Jerry Spinelli's book, MILKWEED (Random House), set in Nazi occupied Warsaw, and Katie DiCamillo's book, THE MIRACULOUS JOURNEY OF EDWARD TULANE (Candlewick Press).

I do most of my pleasure reading in the summer, and I'm a big historical fiction buff. So for fun, after I finish reading Elizabeth Kostova's novel THE HISTORIAN (Bay Back Books) about a historian's search for the origins of the real Vlad Dracula (a rather intelligent vampire novel), I plan to read THE EMANCIPATOR'S WIFE, a novel about the interesting life and personality of Mary Todd Lincoln by Barbara Hambly (Bantam Books). Then, if there's any summer left, I want to start reading THE OBSERVATIONS by Jane Harris (Viking) that's set in Scotland in 1863 and is about a hilarious, sharp-tongued Irish maid and her psychotically suspicious mistress.



Yea...well...I left off the JANE AUSTEN CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE BOOK!

Sort of embarrassing to admit I'm reading it, but you can't get better mindless summer reading than that!!!



1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying this series on your blog! Thanks for doing this and your great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.