Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Key to Happiness: Some Food for Thought


Today's challenge:
One randomly drawn prompt
and one randomly drawn paint chip.


The Key to Happiness: Some Food for Thought

You want everything to be plum perfect?
I'm here to tell you you're as likely to get a lemon
as you are a piece of cake.

You might be the big cheese,
and as cool as a cucumber,
but you'll still get your goose cooked now and then.

Take this with a grain of salt
or take this like candy from a baby --
the key to happiness is

not worth a hill of beans
unless the fruit of your labors 
is a bowl of cherries 
that you are willing 
to share.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2019


7 comments:

  1. A tasty treat -- and accurate, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writer in me says: This poem is so clever! The eater in me says: May I get my goose cooked with extra crispy skin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about a clever use of idioms! Wow, wow, wow! I love this! And especially the last stanza! Well done! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A marvelous smile at the end of the day, Mary Lee. Ah, what paint chip names will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so fun to see where that plum perfect took you! And I do love your key to happiness, that bowl of cherries to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! And the sharing is key! I really like this one, and all the various reminders of the way we use food metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! Fun to read and wise to ponder. x

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.