Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pippi Longstocking and Lauren Child--what a match!

I am a huge Lauren Child fan. Love all of her books and can happily watch entire episodes of Charlie and Lola on TV. She is brilliant. So, I am not sure how I missed the exciting news that she has just illustrated a classic favorite--
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren. But, I did find it yesterday.

I always liked Pippi but I didn't love her. I read all of the books and had a ball thinking about what it would be like to be her neighbor. But, I must say that Lauren Child's version of Pippi is quite lovable. She is still the same Pippi but more fun, in my opinion.

So, the story is the classic one that we all read. But the book is large with large print and not quite so many words on a page. It is a fun size for kids.

So, I brought it into my room today and just asked if anyone knew Pippi Longstocking. None of them had ever heard of the book but they were like bargain-shopping women at a sale trying to get it from me. (I finally let a little girl have it who had just finished a book yesterday. ) Really, there was something about the book that they had to have it. They knew nothing about it but it LOOKED like a book they wanted to read. Lauren Child has that impact on people. I imagine I will never get it back as several kids have their eye one it.

So, I am thrilled about this book. It is absolutely adorable.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this! My kiddos loved Child's Princess and the Pea. Can't wait to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good FRanki! I admit that I too can sit through the cartoon Charlie and Lola. In will check out her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I am going to buy it today...Pippi has always been one of my favorite books (and Halloween costumes)...then loved the movies. I can't believe my child didn't recognize it...I know she's heard me talk about Pippi Longstocking!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Lord! This is a match made in heaven for me. I blogged about the joys of Lauren Child a couple years ago after I had kids. I had no idea that this was even out! Thanks for the tip!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Just letting you know I added a link here from my post on Astrid Lindgren's 100th birthday.

    I'd never heard of Lauren Child before yesterday...and now must seek here out.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:00 AM

    I extremely absolutely love love love Lauren Child and her fantastic Charlie and Lola characters, have most of her books and DVDS, will be adding Pippi to our collection - just not sure if it is my collection or the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.