Tuesday, May 08, 2012

EGGS 1-2-3 by Janet Halfmann

I love when I find a great new nonfiction picture book that is perfect for young children. EGGS 1-2-3: WHO WILL THE BABIES BE? is my new favorite find in this category.  This lift-the-flap book is by Janet Halfmann.

This book is not only a nonfiction book--it has great, poetic language and it is also a counting book!  Each two-page spread gives readers a little question about eggs in the illustration. For example "Four eggs, of sky blue, in a nest of grass and mud on a branch in a backyard.  Who will the babies be?" When you lift the flap, you read, "4 robin chicks, with beaks open wide, begging for juicy worms.

The book goes from 1-10 with a fun last page of more counting. I like this book because it weaves in just the right amount of information about the eggs and the babies that hatch from them.  I love it for young readers and I also love it as a mentor for writing--a great format for nonfiction writers with information shared using great language.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to read this. I think we can make some great text to text connections with An Egg is Quiet.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the wonderful review of my book. Happy Reading to All!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.