Friday, May 25, 2012

Poetry Friday: The Last PF of the School Year


The Late Bird
by Greg Pincus (of the blog, Gottabook)
available for your Kindle or Kindle app

My class is going to have an EXTRA special last Poetry Friday of the school year today. Greg Pincus is coming to visit, all the way from California...via Skype!

To get ready for Greg's visit, we've been reading his poems together with my iPad connected to the SmartBoard, and in small groups on some of the school's iPads.

After I walked them through the punny logic of poems like "The End" and "Book Report on the Thesaurus" they were all primed to groan on their own (or say, "OH!!!") at the end of "Unfair" and "The Biking Blues."

When they set off on their own with the poems, I had to give some occasional help -- reminding them to use the Kindle's dictionary when they didn't know the word "cruciferous" in "Broccoli and Cauliflower," reminding them to go back and look at the title to make meaning in "The Lament of Thursday the 12th."

But I knew they were really learning to navigate Greg's style when a boy delightedly showed me the math problem hidden in "A Doubleheader Sweep" and I had to admit that I had completely missed it!

A Doubleheader Sweep

won + won = too much fun.


(Get it? 1+1=2?? Yeah. My turn to groan.)

If you have access to Kindles or the Kindle app on any devices in your classroom (best in 4th grade and up, because that's when they are really starting to be able to navigate puns), I highly recommend Greg's collection of poems. 

Happy Last Friday of the School Year! (Only three more days after today!!!)

Linda has the Poetry Friday roundup today at TeacherDance.


16 comments:

  1. Fun! I just got a Kindle for Mom's Day, so now my poetry e-reading will probably begin in earnest. Adding Greg's collection to my TB list--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg is one of my favorite poets! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Will there be doughnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to do this with Greg, Mary Lee. His book is delightful. Hope you have a terrific Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a FUN experience!!! I love what you are doing with tech in the classroom. And Greg is the perfect poetic guest!! I am going to save this so I can use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like so much fun for the students! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter loves when authors come to visit her class via Skype! It's so exciting for the kids (and the teacher). Thumbs up for Jama's comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your students must be so excited... have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always admiring what you PF teachers are sharing with your students - I know the kids will love Greg's visit. Wishing much continued success for his newest venture. (Oh, and if he does bring doughnuts, can you pass one to me?) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to end the year with a big, poetry-happy celebration...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Greg's book over lunch at a burrito joint, and caught many an odd look due to my numerous grown-man-giggles. I'm sure the kids, and you, had a great Skype visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had been offline all day, other than Skyping with you, so I just saw this. I had a blast with your class, Mary Lee (and actually just blogged about it before coming here). Great questions, and a great reading of The Answer is a Waffle, too! Thanks for letting me come play with y'all, and thanks, too, for the kind words about The Late Bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just downloaded The Late Bird, and can only imagine how much fun your kids had reading those wonderfully punny poems time and again. I'm sure their visit via Skype with Greg today will be one of the many highlights of this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an extraordinary experience for your students. I love that your kids got to experience the author and dig into his poetry. How cool...and what a great way to start the end of your year.
    Happy last days!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just downloaded this on my Kindle. Looking forward to reading it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cool -- both the way you are helping the kids get Greg's style, and the virtual visit. I wish I'd had poetry teachers like that in elementary school!

    violet

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.