Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Who Will Save My Planet by Maria Cristina Urrutia


I picked up WHO WILL SAVE MY PLANET by Maria Cristina Urrutia at Cover to Cover. It is a wordless book and the story it tells is a serious one. This is a small book filled with photos of our world.   The photographer uses two page spreads to show us the depth of the problems--how the Earth has become ruined. In each two page spread, Urrutia shows two intense photos. One shows the problem--a forest of trees chopped down, an animal in a cage, etc. The other side of each spread shows a connected picture--showing how things should be if we take care of things.  There is not one word in this book but the photographs tell a powerful story of where we are in taking care of our world.

I picked this up for many reasons--I am always looking for wordless books because I think they are great to begin talk around ideas.  I also thought this would be a great conversation starter around visual literacy, how to read images, etc.  This book has lots of possibilities.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:14 AM

    Wow! This looks Powerful! I collect wordless books as well. Thanks for pointing this one out.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever come across a non-fiction wordless book, this looks great (but now I will be looking, thank you). I can see many conversations starting here. Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a striking and horrifying cover. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get my hands on this book. I've found that just a picture or a painting can get my kids to look closely and think deeply...this would be a wonderful text for just such a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.