Monday, May 14, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Brought to you this week by Mary Lee.

Let's start with the pile that's on my nightstand.




Truth in advertising: A Hero For WondLa is the only one of these three that I've actually started reading. M.T. Anderson has moved from the TBR (To Be Read) shelf to the TBR (Teetering Bedside Reading) pile because he'll be at Cover to Cover on Monday afternoon, and I'm almost giddy about hearing him speak. I've read the first two in the Norumbegan Quartet, and The Empire of Gut and Bone will be one of my first #bookaday summer reads. The Chronicles of Harris Burdick has been on my pile since Christmas (a gift from a student), and I unburied it today and brought it up to the top part of the pile after chatting with Sally (at CTC) about Steven King's story in it (re: I finished listening to the audio of King's 11-22-63 a couple of weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.)

Next, my audio reading.



Two reasons why I listened to will grayson, will grayson (finished last week). #1 I loveloveloved The Fault in Our Stars and realized that I need join the John Green fan club. #2 The more I listen to audio books, the more I appreciate a great reader/production. While others are reading all of the Newberys and Caldecotts, I'm thinking I might try to listen to all of the Odyssey Award winners. will grayson, will grayson was an honor book in 2011.

My current audiobook is The Art of Fielding. It and King's 11-22-63 were "follow the crowd" purchases based on "Best Books of 2011" lists on Amazon and Audible. I completely took a risk on both books and I've been pleasantly surprised by both. The Art of Fielding is a baseball book...and SO much more. I love the multiple points of view in it (so similar to will grayson, will grayson!!) and the way the author surprises me to the point of honest-to-goodness out-loud gasps at the plot turns.

Check out what other folks are reading at Teach Mentor Texts. Happy reading!

11 comments:

  1. Wow-, the John Green Club, following the crowd books and a Sparkly Skirt--what's next? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaders get to follow every once in a while, don't we?!?! :-)

      Delete
  2. Lots of good books here, Mary Lee. I've read Feed by MT Andersen & thought it was compelling. I will look for this new one. How great to be able to meet him. I love the John Green books, too & I will try to see if I can find the Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Thanks, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to know that authors who impressed you once before can be relied upon toi impress you again - "Gut and Bone" and "Will Grayson" sound like home runs (again) for the authors - I'll have to check these out.d

    ReplyDelete
  4. You knew you would hook me with "it's a baseball book." I am also going to take your advice and begin to listen to books. I never have listened because I always was concerned about stopping the audio but then again I stop my reading by closing a book. Again thanks for opening my eyes to another great resource. On a side note what digital device do you use to listen to the stories on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you that you get to see M.T. Anderson. He's a great speaker. I adored the Chronicles of Harris Burdick and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I read it, but I've heard that it's a fantastic audiobook. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your TBR (teetering bedside reading)acronym. The Hero for Wondla looks very interesting, can't wait to hear more about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the second book in a series. I read the first one aloud last year, and it was a landmark book for that class.

      Delete
  7. I love the audio of Will Grayson, Will Grayson- Tiny is one of my favorite audio characters ever!!! He even sings- Enjoy!

    Also, love your TBRs :)

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I am putting Will Grayson Will Grayson into my audio wish list. I have yet to read a John Green book but I can see readers enjoy his books.
    PS going to check out the Odyssey Award winners as didn't know about them! Live and learn.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson! And the MT Anderson book looks fantastic. My nightstand list is constantly growing--I actually woke up everyone in the house the other night, because I knocked it down when I was sleeping!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.