Saturday, August 16, 2008

GOODNIGHT GOON: A PETRIFYING PARODY



I was quite happy when I saw GOODNIGHT GOON: A PETRIFYING PARODY by Michael Rex at Cover to Cover today. GOODNIGHT MOON by Margaret Wise Brown is a classic. A must have. And I do appreciate a good creative version of a favorite book. This one is perfect!

GOODNIGHT GOON is filled with monsters and Martians and mummies and more. I love how perfectly the author imitated each page of the original book in this version. As in the classic version, this makes for a great read aloud.

The illustrations are quite fun. Quite monster-like but not too scary for young readers. The colors make it a bit eerie but the smiling faces help to keep it more amusing than scary.

My favorite part is the Martians. It starts out
In a cold gray tomb
There was a gravestone
And a black lagoon
And a picture of---

Martians taking over the moon


How smart is that! Too fun!
I can see this book in all classrooms K-5. Younger students will just love a new version of this familiar classic. I can see older kids attempting to play with their own versions. And, of course, this is out in plenty of time for the Halloween season.

2 comments:

  1. this seems like it would work really well as part of a genre study of parody with older students, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy about this purchase as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.