Wednesday, August 13, 2008

KISS! KISS! YUCK! YUCK!



I found this fun new book by Kyle Mewburn today--KISS! KISS! YUCK! YUCK!. This book was published in New Zealand where it won some good awards. It is just now being released in the US by Peachtree Publishers.
I am not so good at buying funny books. But this one amused me so I thought I'd add it to my collection. I think it was the art that was the decision maker. It is a bit graphic/cartoony. You can't not love the characters in these illustrations!

Andy's Aunt Elsie always comes to visit and greets Andy with kisses which he hates! (Thus the YUCK! YUCK!) He tries to hide but Antie Elsie is very smart and she finds ways to lure him out of his hiding places so that she can kiss him. But then Auntie Elsie can't come to visit for a few weeks and Andy finds that he actually misses those kisses!

I think this book would be a fun read aloud. It is predictable and kids can join into the "Kiss! Kiss! Yuck! Yuck!" part of the book. The font and text set-up would be a bit tricky for brand new readers. But it would be fun for readers who are more comfortable with text. The text is spread out across the page and in some places is diagonal. There are also speech bubbles and various sized fonts. I could see this as a fun read aloud for K-2. I imagine kid would want to hear it again and again--each time I reread it, I find something new to love!

2 comments:

  1. the cover illustration is definitely reminiscent of mo willems.

    looks really adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.