Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine and a Miracle


I discovered NUBS: THE TRUE STORY OF A MUTT, A MARINE, AND A MIRACLE at the book fair last week. I am always looking for great nonfiction read alouds as I need to balance my read alouds a bit more. This is a great story that I think kids are going to love too! It is the story of Nubs, a wild dog who befriends Marine Major Brian Dennis who was stationed in Iraq. The two developed a strong, fast friendship but were separated when Brian had to move on. Since Marines aren't allowed to have pets, Brian knew that he couldn't take the dog with him. But, the dog followed Brian and found him miles away. This is a great dog story and the real photos and email messages on the side add to the information. The story has a happy ending and the book ends with a note from Brian Dennis. This is a great dog story and a great story about friendship and hope. I think it is going to make a great read aloud for any age. WIth Veteran's Day right around the corner, I am thinking teachers might like this one to tie into that day.

2 comments:

  1. I need this book! Dogs are such great models for loyalty and love. Thanks for sharing.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM

    I cannot wait for my library to get a copy of this book. I have been trying convince the nonfiction buyer to get it, and he finally caved. I love true stories of animals.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.