Friday, October 23, 2009

Poetry Friday -- Hope





"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
by Emily Dickinson

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.



We were working in the land lab after school when a goldfinch, already in drab fall and winter colors, flew between us and smacked into a classroom window, falling to the stones below.

I scooped up the blinking, dazed little bird, and as I held it, I thought of the thing with feathers in Emily Dickinson's poem. After resting in a quiet spot for a few minutes, the goldfinch flew off, no worse for wear.

The thing with feathers perching in my soul has hit a wall this week, too. But true as it was for the bird in the land lab, it has only taken the kindness of one gentle hand to restore hope to its perch in my soul.



The round up today is at Big A little a.

7 comments:

  1. Profound and thought-provoking as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous poem (I always love Dickinson) and lovely story. I'm glad you've found hope again.

    (And I see you're not sure who's hosting PF, either?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story, the poem, the bird -- all harbingers of hope. Thanks, Mary Lee, a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has always been one of my favorite Dickinson poems. Love the story and that gorgeous photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an amazing entry... from the picture to the poem to the story.

    Thanks for sharing and for making this Friday a little more hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking photo, beautiful post! Thanks for sharing this moment with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...it has only taken the kindness of one gentle hand to restore hope to its perch in my soul.

    You have a lovely little poem right there!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.