Thursday, April 21, 2011

LIKE PICKLE JUICE ON A COOKIE by Julie Sternberg

Like Pickle Juice on a CookieI always love when I pick up a great, new short chapter book. This week I picked up LIKE PICKLE JUICE ON A COOKIE by Julie Sternberg.  This is the story of Eleanor. Eleanor is eight years old and learns that he lifelong babysitter, Bibi, is moving away. It is a hard time for Eleanor as she deals with the transition.

The book is told in verse. It is a good length--119 pages and there are illustrations throughout.  That is what I love about this book. It is a great book for readers of early chapter books because it has some depth--a real issue that young children can relate to.  I also think older kids would like it because of this.  If I taught older elementary grades, this would go in the "Novels in Verse" basket.  I think readers of those books would love the addition of this one. For younger readers, this book provides a great option for advanced readers who are looking for a chapter book that is appropriate and meaningful for them.

1 comment:

Comment moderation is turned on.