Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Poem #27 -- I Want To Be



I want to be a goose.
I want to stand on the roof with my neck stuck out, honking and honking.

I want to be a redwing blackbird.
I want to hold onto the cattail with both feet and sing ko-ka-reeeeee out across the ditch.

I want to be a hawk.
I want to drop like a rock from the wire and land sharp-taloned on a field mouse.

I want to be a nuthatch.
I want to run upside down on the trunk of the big oak searching for insects with my bead eyes.

I want to be a bird.
I want to launch myself into the wind and understand aerodynamics instinctively.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! Love the hawk one especially. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always on the lookout for poetry that helps young writers feel that they 'can do it'. This is a perfect mentor poem for them and reminds me of Marie Bradby's If You Were a Bird. Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.