Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Poem #5 -- Fishing


I am standing in the river,
the current gentle against my legs.
My feet are cool in my boots
in my waders
in the water.
My head is warm in my cap
in the sun.
I have finally cast my line
with grace
and precision
and the fish believes
an insect has landed 
in the water
above its head.
The line goes tight.
I bring the fish to me,
remove the hook,
apologize,
marvel at the iridescent beauty,
kiss its nose,
and release the fish back into the river.

Then I open my eyes
and pick up the next paper to grade.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2011

6 comments:

  1. Oh to be transported to this lovely fishing scene -- between grading papers! Or, was the paper about fishing?? Either way, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary Lee! I usually don't comment, but I WANT TO BE HIP DEEP IN THAT RIVER! Where was the photo taken?

    Thank you for that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Mark! Good to hear from you! I'm pretty sure that's the Youghiogheny River in SW PA. (It's from a couple of years ago...sadly...)

    Irene, this was a for-real day dream I had in the midst of grading math tests last night. :- )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. LOVE. THIS.
    WOW. WOW. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:37 AM

    This brought back wonderful memories of fishing with my grandfather. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about fishing, but if it involves kissing the fish's nose I feel different about it now. I bet it's only you who kisses the fish before throwing it back.

    Lovely, lovely piece about the power of imagination and our ability to be in two places at once. You collect a math test, kiss it with your marker and your comments, and toss it back. : )

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.