Friday, January 05, 2007

Poetry Friday!

If you haven't seen the book READ AND RISE by Sandra Pinkney, this is the introductory poem by Maya Angelou. I collect books about books and reading that I use to start conversations with my students about their own reading. I just added to this one to my collection. Reading is the pathway From the dungeon To the door Freedom Reading is the highway from The shadow to the sun Freedom Reading is the river To your liberty For all your life to come Let the river run Learn Learn to Read Maya Angelou

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:30 AM

    I also collect books about reading to share with my students. Would you be willing to post a list your books (or your favorites)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:46 PM

    cool, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:25 AM

    I do a Poetry Circle every other Friday. While I encouage my kids to write their own poems, some are just totally hooked on reading poems (i.e., standing up and reciting them from the books we have in our classroom) by poets like Langston Hughes and Edgar Allan Poe. It's amazing to see how much they love Poetry Circle... they hang on one another's words and on the Fridays that we don't have Poetry Circle, they're really really sad. (That's why I did Poetry Pass today... check out my blog for moe info on that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't round you up until this morning. I wanted to let you know I've just included your Poetry Friday post with all the others at Blue Rose Girls.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.