Saturday, January 20, 2007

Newbery Hope #1--A TRUE AND FAITHFUL NARRATIVE

Well, the more I see what everyone else is picking for the Newbery, the more my top pick seems a bit selfish, and definitely very "yesterday." I admit, I haven't kept up with my Newbery reading in the last month or so, first because of my immersion in graphic novels for the Cybils nominations, and now because I am trapped in Kars, Turkey in a nonstop snowstorm and social, political, and religious upheaval (SNOW by Orhan Pamuk, for book club).

Why do I love A TRUE AND FAITHFUL NARRATIVE?

••strong female character who is a reader and writer, and who does not compromise her talents and her hopes for her future even when it means giving up her dream of owning a bookstore
•detailed sense of time and place in history that doesn't overwhelm the storyline
••reader gets to watch over Meg's shoulder as she struggles with her writing
••timeless message about overcoming cultural prejudices by learning about other cultures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.