Thursday, January 04, 2007

More Great 2006 Picture Books

Reading the 111 books for the CYBILS was quite fun! I loved talking about which we would shortlist. But, I also loved finding some surprises in the boxes. I found several GREAT picture books that I hadn't seen before. Emily at Whimsy Books reviewed one of them this week. I thought I'd highlight two others that I fell in love with.


A PLACE WHERE SUNFLOWERS GROW by Amy Lee-Tai—
This story is told in English and in Japanese. It is the story of a little girl living in the Japanese Internment camps, homesick for the beauty of her old life. This story is based on a true story of the author’s grandmother and is a a great story of hope.

A COACH'S LETTER TO HIS SON by Mel Allen is an essay in picture book form. I am always looking for great essays to share with my students, either for booktalking or for samples of good writing in the genre. A father speaks to his son about the way baseball has changed and hopes to regain the joy of the game in this time of competitive, organized sports.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:17 PM

    I just read about your Blog in the Jan/Feb issue of Instructor. I'm delighted that your site exists since I'm doing a master's action reseach project on mentor texts and their ability to lift the level of elementary students' writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 PM

    Thanks for linking to my blog, Franki. :) I thought Cheep! Cheep! was so fun and simple.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.