Monday, January 22, 2007

Reflections on the 2007 Awards

Here's how close I came this year: I bought Hattie Big Sky on Saturday.

At least the winner isn't another two-word title.

I don't know what else to say. We read like fiends. Because of blogging, we were so much more in tune to what the rest of "the world" was talking about and liking. We thought that between the two of us, we'd have it this year. Sigh.

Oh, well, let's get on with A(nother) Year of Reading!

ML

I am pretty happy with the winners. I am totally bummed about JEREMY FINK and YELLOW STAR but these feel like good picks. Here is how I did this year:
I read and loved PENNY FROM HEAVEN.
I read and loved RULES.
I asked for THE HIGHER POWER OF LUCKY on Saturday at Cover to Cover but they were all out. So, I have to wait with the rest of the world.
I haven't read HATTIE BIG SKY.

I do think we were better informed this year. Because of the blogging world, I feel like I read really good books. I didn't waste time reading anything that wasn't worthwhile.

I am surprised that the books were all books with girl characters. The two I read had strong girl characters. You can never have enough strong girl characters, but I do think it is interesting that there are no books with a male protagonist.

(If you want to find more books with strong girl characters, check out HipWriterMama's list here.)

So, I guess this is when A(nother) Year of Reading begins. Our goal of reading the Newbery turned out as usual. Neither of us had read the Newbery. Nothing new. So, we'll try again in 2008! The fun is always in the reading and the guessing!

Franki

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    There's something to be said for the road less traveled, though, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 PM

    I'm new at blogging, but have enjoyed catching up with yours and creating a list of books to read. I was surprised when I went to Amazon to check age levels for the Newbery Awards they were fourth grade and up. I'm interested to know if you would read any, that you have read to a third grade class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 AM

    If it makes you feel any better, I didn't read the Newbury book either. Thanks so much for linking to my blog. I'm really honored you thought the list of strong girls was worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Call me crazy but it's kind of fun when a dark horse wins. I can't wait to read THE HIGHER POWER OF LUCKY. It's like discovering an awesome candy you didn't know existed...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.