Friday, January 26, 2007

Poetry Friday--Newbery Award Edition

The Book Not Taken
(apologies to Robert Frost)

Two aisles diverged in my favorite bookstore,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one reader, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where the bookshelves ended;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it contained all the books my fellow bloggers were reading;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
The carpet equally stained with salt (brought in on boots from the icy walk).
Oh, I kept the first for another day
Because I believed the Newbery pick would be found
In the aisle I chose
Yet knowing how my record stands on picking picks,
I was pretty sure I'd be back, and pretty quick.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
A week after the Newbery was announced:
Two aisles diverged in my favorite bookstore, and I --
I took the one that didn't contain the winning book,
And that has made no real difference at all
Because it has STILL been a fun year filled with great books
And lively bloggerly conversations!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Wow. Great job. Love the poem. Sometimes we need to take the one not chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:50 PM

    Nicely done Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Love your poem! Hope to read more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:57 PM

    That's brilliant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:27 PM

    I love it! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.