Thursday, April 26, 2007

Those High Paid Teachers

About a month ago, I shared an email that circulates periodically among teachers. It speculates about how a dentist would react if subjected to the professional degradation that is routine for teachers under NCLB. Here's another one that makes the rounds occasionally:


I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right...I would give them $3.00 an hour and only for the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be $15 a day. Each parent should pay $15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day.... maybe 25? Then that's $15 X 25=$375 a day. But remember they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going
to pay them for any vacations.

Let's see... that's 375 X 180 = $67,500.00

(Hold on, my calculator must need batteries! The average teacher salary is $40,000.)

What about those special teachers or the ones with master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6 X 5 hours X 25 children X 180 days = $135,000.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!! Teachers would earn more if we just paid them to baby sit!!


  1. O my stars! I always knew I was underpaid, but this is outrageous! I should have been doing my math homework all those years instead of sneaking books!

  2. It's shameful. And terrible.

    Our new, extremely young governor just past a bill to take IA teachers from #45 to #25 in teacher pay. (Can you tell he was a teacher? A step, but still not great.

    Speaking of teachers, Barbara Kerley's "Greatings from Planet Earth" has the best teacher EVER--Mr. Meyer.

  3. Kelly -- #45 to #25 is a HUGE jump! Good for him! Good for IA for electing a former teacher to office!

    I saw your review of Kerley's book -- sounds great! I'll add Mr. Meyer to the list this weekend.


We welcome your contribution to the conversation!