Thursday, April 05, 2007

Setting Reading Goals

I was intrigued when I read this post by Jennifer at Kiddosphere. (thanks for the link, Jen Robinson!) Jennifer wants to read all of the Beverly Clary books before Cleary's birthday on April 12.

It seems that as readers, we set these kinds of goals every day. Fuse #8 has mentioned her goal of reading all of the Newbery books.

Years ago, once I realized that I hadn't really "read" any of the classics in high school or college---just got through the classes, I decided to read one Classic a Year. did this for a few years.

Then there was Mother Reader's 48 Hour Book Challenge--a competitive kind of goal setting thing. Shouldn't that be coming up again soon?

And then, of course, there is the goal that got this whole blog started--Mary Lee and I reading as many great middle grade novels in hopes that we would have read the Newbery before it is announced.


My students set these type of goals for themselves when it is part of our classroom talk. They find a series or an author and decide that reading the whole series is a good goal. Or they might want to try a genre that they have never tried.

Falling in love with a series or books by a certain author seem to inspire lots of goals.

I'm interested in goals that readers set for themselves--just for fun! If you have a minute to share your goals in a comment or on your blog, please do.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:01 PM

    I have a goal of reading 200 books this year. I'm not picky about genre or age range for this goal.

    I also have a shorter-term goal of writing at least six book reviews this weekend (I hope it will be more - I have a big backlog, but I always end up spending a lot of time on each one, and get burned out trying to do too many).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:49 AM

    I've posted my goals at my blog:

    http://lectitans.livejournal.com/10052.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. my goals are here!

    bribookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked back to see what the date is on my very first literature log -- 1987. Holey Moley. I have been doing this for TWENTY years!

    My goal, for the last TWENTY YEARS, has been to read 52 children's novels per year. There's hardly been a year that I haven't made that goal. Somewhere along the line I added the goal of 20 adult books per year. I almost always make that goal, too.

    TWENTY YEARS! Times fifty-two. Wow.

    Here's a quote on an index card that I found in the back of that first literature log:

    "From every book invisible threads reach out to other books; and as the mind comes to use and control those threads the whole panorama of the world's life, past and present, becomes constantly more varied and interesting, while at the same time the mind's own powers of reflection and judgement are exercised and strengthened."

    -- Helen Haines

    So far this year, I have read 24 children's books and 3 adult books. This spring break, I have read 10 children's books. I hope, by the end of the day today, to make that 11 children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two goals for me:

    - Stay away from the computer long enough to read at least 150 books this year.

    - Read the rest of the Newbery Medal books, though not necessarily by the end of this year. (I looked at a complete list - all 86 of them - the other day, and realised that I have only read eight of them.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 200 books in a year was the most I've ever logged-- a couple of years ago, before blogging ate my life. I'd like to get back up to that number in 2007, but we're probably moving this summer so I'd settle for 150.

    This is a great question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I logged 325 books in less than six months once, but that was back in high school. I could never do that now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal is to read as many history of children's literature books as I can through interlibrary loan and building my own collection. In the last 3 months I've read about 20. It's end of semester so I'm slowing down but I hope to have read 50 more by the year's end in between reading several hundred children's books, mysteries, romances, science fiction, etc. for pure pleasure. I read far too much...
    Jenny Schwartzberg

    ReplyDelete
  9. schwartzbergj said...
    I read far too much...


    *blink*

    I understand your words, but the way in which you combine them makes no sense.... 8)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goal is to expand my reading horizons to include genres that I don't often gravitate towards: mystery, sports and sci-fi so I can have a well rounded arsenal of books to recommnd to kids.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.