Thursday, April 26, 2007

Those High Paid Teachers

About a month ago, I shared an email that circulates periodically among teachers. It speculates about how a dentist would react if subjected to the professional degradation that is routine for teachers under NCLB. Here's another one that makes the rounds occasionally:

SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS

I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers. Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do...baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right...I would give them $3.00 an hour and only for the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be $15 a day. Each parent should pay $15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day.... maybe 25? Then that's $15 X 25=$375 a day. But remember they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going
to pay them for any vacations.

Let's see... that's 375 X 180 = $67,500.00

(Hold on, my calculator must need batteries! The average teacher salary is $40,000.)

What about those special teachers or the ones with master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair. Let's round it off to $6.00 an hour. That would be $6 X 5 hours X 25 children X 180 days = $135,000.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!!! Teachers would earn more if we just paid them to baby sit!!

3 comments:

  1. O my stars! I always knew I was underpaid, but this is outrageous! I should have been doing my math homework all those years instead of sneaking books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's shameful. And terrible.

    Our new, extremely young governor just past a bill to take IA teachers from #45 to #25 in teacher pay. (Can you tell he was a teacher? A step, but still not great.

    Speaking of teachers, Barbara Kerley's "Greatings from Planet Earth" has the best teacher EVER--Mr. Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly -- #45 to #25 is a HUGE jump! Good for him! Good for IA for electing a former teacher to office!

    I saw your review of Kerley's book -- sounds great! I'll add Mr. Meyer to the list this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.