Monday, April 02, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



Go visit TEACH MENTOR TEXTS for the whole round up of 
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? posts.  
Thanks Jen and Kellee!

This Week's Update is Brought to You by Mary Lee


I grabbed FAKE MOUSTACHE by Tom Angleberger at the library yesterday. (I was gathering books for the unit of study on empathy that we'll be beginning Monday. No, I don't think FAKE MOUSTACHE will be part of the study!) Based on all I've heard about it, including Franki's review last week, this is the funniest Angleberger yet. I can't wait to get started on it!



But before I start FAKE MOUSTACHE, I'm embarrassed to say that I need to get caught up and read DARTH PAPER STRIKES BACK. I started it last night, but I soon fell into a food-induced coma from a birthday dinner at Rivage

Actually, I need to put this one aside (yet again...and this is how it has happened that I haven't read it yet...) because...



...I really need to read the newest LUNCH LADY (LUNCH LADY AND THE MUTANT MATHLETES) so that it can be on the chalk tray first thing this morning and I can maintain my position as The Teacher With All The Coolest Books.


Now a peek at my adult reading...


I just finished listening to LITTLE BEE Saturday. Because of the two voices in the story, the audio experience was particularly powerful. Plus, this was the first audio book I checked out of the public library. CML has a really easy stepsheet for getting the free OverDrive app and checking out e-books and audio books. 




Now that I'm finished with LITTLE BEE, I'll get back to listening to 11/22/63 by Steven King. I sort of left the main character stuck back in time while I took a break to listen to LITTLE BEE for book club. It made for fascinating conversation to be reading a time travel book while my class was listening to/reading along with A WRINKLE IN TIME.

Happy Monday, and Happy Reading!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, the description on Amazon for Little Bee is awfully cryptic! I'm intrigued! Which I guess is what they want, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on the description, I did NOT want to read the book. I'm glad I did, but I agree with Jen about the ending.

      Delete
  2. Little Bee is one of my books for an upcoming book club. I think I may have listened to it in the audio format, too. I am a huge audiobooks fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that too...jump from book to book because the idea of starting another one that I want to read sounds like fun. There are just too many great books! Darth Paper is such fun and I'm really excited for Fake Mustache and Lunch Lady and the Mathletes.

    I was not a huge fan of Little Bee. It was really sad for me and I didn't feel like the ending had to be the way it was. I thought it was a sad ending. I love time travel and have seen this new Stephen King here and here and it looks interesting...but I am always wary of Stephen King! Is it spooky/scary/creepy/squeam-inducing or not? I don't do scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a little bit of gratuitous creepiness here and there...almost like he couldn't help himself. But mostly (not quite half through) it is historical fiction/time travel. Very different for King.

      Delete

Comment moderation is turned on.