Saturday, April 28, 2012

Attitude Adjustment

Le's Flaming Poo Poo Platter


ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT

Turns out
I didn't need the Venti Awake Tea
from Starbucks after all.
All I needed
was for Lynne Rossetto Kasper to say

Flaming Poo Poo Platter.

I laughed until I cried.
When I
caught my breath and
mopped my eyes
I no longer had a headache.

© Mary Lee Hahn, 2012



Poem #28, National Poetry Month, 2012

On Saturday afternoons, as we drive here and there running errands and buying groceries, we listen to Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me and The Splendid Table (with Lynne Rossetto Kasper) and Toss the Feathers (a local Celtic music program on our NPR station).

I was in a headache-y funk this afternoon. It's been a hard couple of weeks, topped by running the Keep-A-Balloon-In-The-Air-For-A-Minute game at our school carnival last night from 6:00-8:30 (with one 15 minute break).

I'll be forever grateful to Lynne Rossetto Kasper for saying

Flaming Poo Poo Platter

in the course of her show. The extended belly laugh that resulted turned my mood right around. Now all I have to do is say to myself

Flaming Poo Poo Platter

and I grin.




Cathy, at Merely Day By Day, is joining me in a poem a day this month. Other daily poem writers include Amy at The Poem Farm, Linda at TeacherDance, Donna at Mainely Write, Laura at Writing the World for Kids (daily haiku), Liz at Liz in Ink (daily haiku), Sara at Read Write Believe (daily haiku), Jone at Deo Writer (daily haiku)...and YOU?

Flaming Poo Poo Platter

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you listened to the radio! Nice to have a little funny slice from your day, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I popped over here for a wee break from a freelance writing project, and what a perfect little break it is! Thanks for sharing this great story. After reading the post, I looked at the picture again and I'm sure seeing a comical face in that composition... ;0) (Love your taste in NPR shows, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that actually works. I laughed again when I read it for the fourth time at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You got me smiling too! Thank you once more, Mary Lee! a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flaming Poo Poo Platter is all I need to for the next four days thanks for making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saying Flaming Poo Poo Patter makes me laugh. I can only imagine what saying this to my first graders would do. Glad your day turned around.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.