Wednesday, April 11, 2012

CHILDHOOD



CHILDHOOD

Scab -- pick it.
Booger -- flick it.

Penny -- find it.
Kite string -- wind it.

Horse -- pretend it.
Fort -- defend it.

Snowball -- throw it.
Marigold -- grow it.

Happiness -- scream it.
The future -- dream it.

© Mary Lee Hahn, 2012




Poem #11, National Poetry Month 2012

The first two lines of this poem jumped into my head, and the rest followed quickly behind. It was a fun poem to write. Many lines are ones I've lived...okay, I'll admit it...I've lived EVERY line of this poem! I'm still working on that last line...



Cathy, at Merely Day By Day, is joining me in a poem a day this month. Other daily poem writers include Amy at The Poem Farm, Linda at TeacherDance, Donna at Mainely Write, Laura at Writing the World for Kids (daily haiku), Liz at Liz in Ink (daily haiku), Sara at Read Write Believe (daily haiku), Jone at Deo Writer (daily haiku)...and YOU?

15 comments:

  1. Love it! Those lines all bring vivid images to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poems says it all and brings back special memories and extends to my life today where I am still dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! What fun! Can I copy and share it with our teachers (K-6, Title I school in Utah) to share with students? I will (of course)include your copyright and website info at bottom.
    I love writing poetry--you've inspired me to post some on my blog, too! Thanks! Happy writing!
    -janiel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you certainly may share my poem (with attribution/copyright)! Thank you for the honor!!

      Delete
  4. Love this too! A fun way to capture childhood with the rhythm and the rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, ML. Never pegged you for a booger flicker, though :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I've flicked with the best of 'em!!

      Delete
  6. What fun, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a nutshell, you've written it! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Lee,

    Great list poem--one that I'm sure kids will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These lines came to me today in the shower -- whaddaya think, too much potty humor, or just right for kids?

    Fart -- rip it.
    Tooth -- chip it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lee,
    Thanks for allowing me to share your poem!
    Lots of students have enjoyed it already!
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you are able to write beautifully, quirkily, seriously, nature-fully...this nailed childhood! a.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.