Monday, April 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This week, I've done mostly professional reading. I have been in a little reading rut when it comes to fiction--so much going on that I haven't had huge chunks of time to read.  And I found out last week that I'll be teaching 4th grade next year. I am really excited about getting back to the classroom and have lots of professional reading to catch up on over the next few months.


My big reading this week was the professional book WHAT READERS REALLY DO: TEACHING THE PROCESS OF MEANING MAKING by Dorothy Barnhouse and Vicki Vinton. I'm about halfway through and I am LOVING this book.  It is amazingly brilliant and am so happy to be reading it.  I have been enjoying learning from Vicki on her blog, TO MAKE A PRAIRIE and am sorry I didn't read this new book the moment it was released. (I received a review copy months ago but didn't have time to get to it until now.)  Look for a review on this book soon. 


This week, I was able to listen to three Choice Literacy podcasts while running. (A big breakthrough as a runner as I shared on my running blog:-) I guess this isn't really reading but I consider it like an audiobook so I'm including it here. I never listen to the podcasts I do myself but I have wanted to listen to a few that Heather and Brenda have done. I read the transcripts but hadn't had time to listen to the interviews. So I listened to Oral Language and Understanding with Ellin Keene, Vocabulary, Comprehension and the Common Core with Dough Fisher and Making the Most of Small Groups with Jennifer Serravallo.

And, since I am focusing on my thinking/learning more than just reading, I'll share one last thing. Last week was my birthday. I turned 48. I was feeling old so I went back and revisited this Jane Fonda's Ted Talk that I loved on The Third Act.  I think that although she is talking to people closer to her age, there are lots of great messages to all of us about different stages of life. 


I did download GRACELING and hope to start that soon. It came recommended from several Twitter friends so I am sure it is great. Looking forward to it.


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling about What Readers Really Do. Sounds good & an addition to ways I can help the teachers I work with help their students. I hadn't thought about listening to podcasts, but can do that in the car on the way to work. I love Choice Literacy & find so much there to enjoy, including your writing! And Happy Birthday, Franki. I hope you enjoy this next year with challenges coming in your new role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do enough professional reading. What Readers Do sounds like an interesting book. I will see if it's available from my library. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Franki! Thanks for letting us know about this book, and also this awesome blog by the authors. I 'm in a bit of a reading rut, too, perhaps this is just the book to jog my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this book! It sounds great! Does it give very many lesson ideas and strategies on how to help students make more meaning out of their reading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am about 1/2 way through and lots of good things to help us think through how to do this with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information, thanks for sharing it today. I will be checking out both blogs and the book you mentioned about readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audio books (including podcasts) absolutely count as reading. You're just reading through your EARS instead of your EYES!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not heard of What Readers Really Do so thank you for the recommendation. Sounds like a book to spend time with this summer.
    As far as 48, you're still a spring chicken, but I do love what Jane Fonda has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Late Birthday!!!! I'm glad you are going to try Graceling. I love it. I just started Fire today on audio. How exciting that you will be teaching 4th grade next year. 4th grade is a fun age. I have really enjoyed seeing my students evolve as readers this year. Just recently I was thinking about how the books they are reading now are different from at the beginning of the year. All of my students have grown. It's awesome. My 4th graders have changed a lot, though. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please tell me you aren't going back into the classroom because they are cutting the library position!? I know you will be fantastic in the classroom, of course!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.