Thursday, April 05, 2012

Three by Two

Two of children's literature's most prolific poets have three new books out this spring. The first they wrote together. The other two will inspire readers younger and older to look closely at the world around them.




Take Two! A Celebration of Twins
by J. Patrick Lewis and Jane Yolen
illustrated by Sophie Blackall
Candlewick Press, 2012
review copy provided by the publisher

This must-have book of poems about twins is divided into four parts: Twins in the Waiting Womb, Twinfants, How to Be One, and Famous Twins.

I have one of a pair of VERY identical twins in my room this year. I think she'll enjoy sharing this book with her twin, and with her family.

This book has gotten lots of well-deserved attention. Here's a sampling:

The New York Times
Kirkus Reviews
Laura Salas at Writing the World for Kids
Linda Kulp at Write Time





Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems
by Jane Yolen
photographs by Jason Stemple
Worsdsong, April 2012
review copy provided by the publisher

Jane Yolen and her son, Jason Stemple, have another great poetry/science book this spring. (I LOVE An Egret's Day!)

Each spread has a poem, a photo, and a little bit more information about each insect. The only one with a lot of "EWWWW" factor for me, was the one about the tick. I just about can't look at that picture!
But Jane reminds us in the poem,

"The tick is mostly mouth,
and if he lands on you
he'll try to suck your blood,
'cause that's what all ticks do."





What's Looking at You, Kid?
by J. Patrick Lewis
illustrated by Renee Graef
Sleeping Bear Press, 2012
review copy provided by the publisher

For the younger set, J. Patrick Lewis takes us on a rhyming nature walk that invites us to look, look, look at the world around us.

"Skimming ponds
and country lanes,
whizzing wings
of windowpanes.

Look, a pair
of fairy planes."  
(with an illustration of dragonflies)

2 comments:

  1. Bug Off! looks positively creepy! I think my K's would enjoy it. I love the pairing of poetry and science. Great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franki and Mary Lee,

    I just found your blog! I love it! I have a huge obsession with children's literature and I love reading about all the great books you guys post! Thanks for sharing your great recommendations! I am definitely making a trip to my favorite bookstore over spring break (which starts tomorrow)!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.