Wednesday, April 25, 2012

unBEElievables



unBEElievables: honeybee poems and paintings
by Douglas Florian
Beach Lane Books, 2012

Douglas Florian does it again! A perfect trifecta of illustrations and poems and just enough information on every page.

I wish I would have had this book to show my student as a mentor text when they were writing their weather poems and including science information on the page with each poem.

Here's a favorite:

BEE ANATOMY

Lovely legs,
Lovely hue.
Lovely long
Antennae, too.
Lovely eyes,
Lovely wings.
But ouch!
How in the end
It stings!

2 comments:

  1. Mary Lee,
    I enjoyed your poem. Loved the ending! The repetition of the word lovely really gives the poem a nice rhythm. I'm going to have to check out this book by Florian. He has so many great examples of nonfiction poetry for students. Thanks for sharing!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish. That's one of FLORIAN'S poems from the book!

      Delete

Comment moderation is turned on.